The primary focus of this role is the Installation, Commissioning/Start-up, Test, Debug, Troubleshooting, Diagnosis, Repair, Upgrade, of industrial automation control panels that are used in control systems for water & wastewater treatment plants, petroleum process industries, and security systems. This position requires proficiency in working with automated electro-mechanical systems including electronics, pneumatics, electrical and mechanical systems, as well as the ability to resolve interrelated electrical and mechanical issues and to make applicable modifications to control system programs. The Field Service Technician will perform high-level machine and systems troubleshooting and repair, installation and modification of integrated systems and also provide internal and external technical support. This position requires up to 100% travel including outside of the local area.
- Assist with construction, initial startup, and debug of new equipment and/or installations
- Participate in final preparations and testing of new control panels prior to customer delivery
- Perform post-delivery functions for new control panel/equipment including installation support, training, process troubleshooting, and subsequent service at customer sites
- Perform validations, diagnostics, repairs, upgrades, and other activities required to support existing control panels and/or equipment
- Work with Engineering and CAD professionals to document the As-installed electrical and software specifications and drawings
- Identify and communicate issues found in the field and effectively work with Engineering or other responsible parties to quickly resolve them (vendor, assembly, etc.)
- Performs complex service or system calls and interacts with customer personnel to provide quality service and feedback on problem evaluation and resolution
- Provide guidance and direction to junior associates to fulfill assignment efficiently and with high quality to meet budget and time constraints
- Train and mentor junior technicians to build competent and highly skilled Filled Service team
- Perform minor PLC programming (edit ladder logic and/or HMI applications) and upload new PLC code on-site if necessary
- Document and file reports of all installations, inspections, maintenance and repair work, and failures
- Perform complex product and service training to customers per project specification
- May participate in the negotiation and administration of service or system contracts
- Interaction with clients, suppliers, contractors and relevant authorities
- Other duties, as assigned, within capabilities and responsibility of the position
Construction field environment may require climbing stairs, standing, bending, and lifting.
Office, production, and manufacturing shop environment. Daily and/or overnight travel in the field is required. Field environment; construction, water, and wastewater treatment plants. Safety equipment required; hard hats, boots, safety vests, and eye protective gear. May be required to work overtime as needed.
- Two (2) year technical degree in related field or discipline, or equivalent combination of vocational training and work experience in Electrical or electro-mechanical or PLC/Computer Programming
- Minimum four (4) years Field Service experience working with Automated Industrial Equipment
- ISA Certified Control System Technician (CCST) Level 1
- ETA Certified Fiber Optic Installer (FOI) and Radio communication experiences are highly desired
Special Skills, Knowledge, or Abilities
- Strong electrical and mechanical skills, proficient with 480 and/or 208VAC 3-Phase, 120VAC and 24VAC control and power systems
- Must be able to read and understand standard electrical schematics and be skilled in troubleshooting control systems during start up, debug and servicing
- Mid-level PLC maintenance, repair, and troubleshooting skills
- Understand, troubleshoot, and edit ladder logic, HMI applications
- Must be able to understand standard mechanical assembly documentation and systems
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision
- Proficient with PLC networking communications desired such as Ethernet/IP, DeviceNet, ProfiBus, etc
- Proficient with field instrumentation installation, calibration, and troubleshooting.
- Must be proficient in MS Word and Excel
- Must have good communication, customer service, and conflict management skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment & handle multiple tasks concurrently
- Be proud of your ability of having attention to detail
- Highly motivated, organized and flexible as well as positive, personable and happy team player
- Contractual awareness would be advantageous
- Enjoy fostering great relationships with customers
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
Must hold a Texas valid driver’s license and insurance.
Requires a good driving record, drug testing, and clear background check
CONTACT WITH OTHERS
Daily significant interaction with supervisor and other co-workers. General contact with customers, over the phone, email, and in person.
This job description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities and other essential functions (as covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act) expected of an incumbent to be able to perform with or without reasonable accommodation. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of an incumbent. An incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required.